Sunday, March 24, 2013

Review of Mail-Order Bride

Amazon
Mail Order Bride
by Susan Donovan 
2.5 of 5 Stars

Description:
Desperate to escape an arranged marriage, Charleston belle Camille Sinclair answers an ad for a mail-order bride which will lead her all the way to San Francisco. Taking a husband sight-unseen is better than marrying the older lech her aunt had suggested -- and may give her the freedom she needs to finger her long-lost brother. But when Camille arrives, she discovers handsome logger Seth Braden has absolutely no desire to marry...until she charms him with her sweet nature -- and even sweeter kisses. (From Goodreads)

Review:
This book has been sitting on my shelf for years...probably since high school. Wow!

Anyway, I really wanted to like this book, especially since it has been in my To Read pile for so long. I struggled through this book and I don't usually have that problem. The book started off well then fell off.
Camille Sinclare is a desperate woman, she wants nothing more than to escape an arranged marriage to an old lech. To get away, she answers an ad from the paper and moves across the country to marry a stranger and to search for her brother. Seth Braden was not interested in getting married and was a bit peeved when his friend, Cooper, sent for a mail-order bride for him. So, Camille and Seth did not hit it off right away, but their attraction to each other was difficult to deny. 
I liked Camille's character. She was not the typical historical heroine, but there were times when she - and some of the other characters - did not seem to fit the time period. As for the relationship, I felt that it was lacking. I also thought the plot was slow and the book dragged. However, I did like her writing style - her voice. So, I may look into another book from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews