Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review of A Touch of Darkness

A Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen #2)
by Christina Dodd
846616
Amazon       B&N
3 of 5 Stars

Description:
Handsome, powerful Rurik Wilder holds the power to transform himself into a fierce bird of prey-a gift that's caused death and destruction.

At last he's offered the chance to redeem himself. Only one woman stands in his way-a beautiful writer determined to wreak revenge on the assassins who murdered her family. Assassins, it's been rumored, who have powers no human should ever possess...
(Goodreads)

Review:

The Darkness Chosen series by Christina Dodd is a new take on the traditional shape-shifter romance. The first book within the series, Scent of Darkness, was intriguing and here I am, reviewing the second book with the third on my shelf.
Rurik heads to Scotland to investigate an archaeological dig, which has been blasted all over the news. He goes to try and calm down the press since his murderous relatives would like to keep these ancient family secrets secret! When Rurik arrives, he is surprised to see Tasya, a woman he'd once shared a fun filled with. Personally, Tasya isn't my type heroin. I found her character to be bit immature at times and the secret keeping was unnecessary. It was also a bummer that the main characters already knew each other so the reader misses out on the meet-cute and all that goes along with it.
I didn't care for the "reasons" of the main character's conflict. It was secrets that kept them apart and made them walk the line of betrayal - nothing solid. Simple put, their relationship issues didn't have to be issues if they could have just communicated a bit more. I have to say, I skipped over some bulky stuff in the middle. But the romance comes around towards the end it was nice to see them get their happily ever after.
There was more action in this book than the last, which I liked and it expanded the story-arc. It gave more information regarding the pact with the Evil One.
The book ends with a bit of a cliff hanger at the end, which I enjoy and (to the frustration of my readers) a form of writing that I use. Needless to say, it got me! And I'll be starting the next book soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews